ADHD / ADD / Dyslexia
|ADD, ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) and Dyslexia Symptoms are a few conditions for which nutrition offers hope.|
ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) / ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
According to statistics, 3 to 10 % of the U.S. population have ADD or ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) symptoms which include inattentiveness, hyperactivity, impulsiveness, tantrums, aggressiveness, moodiness, migraines, bedwetting, distractibility and insomnia. It is estimated that at least 4 million children in the U.S. were taking stimulant medication during 1996 for attention deficit behavior. This is 4 times more than in 1988. Based on these statistics Ritalin use among children doubles every 2 years.
Yet worries persist about the safety and effectiveness of these drugs. the medicines cannot cure ADD and ADHD, but can moderate its effects. Many children exhibit a short-term increase in attention, control, concentration and goal directed efforts while on these drugs.
Side Effects of Medicines
There is no evidence of long-term effectiveness of these drugs. Among the side effects are irritability, stunted growth, insomnia, skin rashes, joint pain and drowsiness.
Because of these concerns, more and more parents of ADHD and ADD children, as well as adults sufferers, are looking for gentler and less drastic alternative.
Here is some helpful information to consider when you ponder attention deficit hyperactivity disorder::
- The Feingold Association® is a volunteer organization dedicated to generate public awareness of the potential role of foods and synthetic additives in behavior (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), learning and health problems. Here is the Feingold Association food elimination diet
- A mother’s natural tips for hyperactive and learning impaired children
- The roll of essential fatty acids in children
- Essential fatty acids and the brain
- DHA from fish oil aids developing infant eyesight
- Fatty Acid Supplementation May Aid Kids with ADD and ADHD
- Dyslexics may be helped by DHA supplementation
Dyslexia Symptoms – nutritionally supported with Nutritional Supplements
It is estimated that 10% of the populations of the UK and USA suffer to some extent fromdyslexia symptoms, and that 4% are severely affected. What is alarming is that there has been a threefold increase in prevalence of dyslexia symptoms between 1976 and 1993. Dyslexia symptoms displayed by individuals with dyslexia involve difficulties in acquiring and using language –reading and writing letters in the wrong order is just one manifestation of dyslexia and does not occur in all cases. Other dyslexia symptoms:
- learning to speak
- organizing written and spoken language
- learning letters and their sounds
- memorizing number facts
- learning a foreign language
- correctly doing math operation.
Not all students who have difficulties with these skills are dyslexic. Formal testing is the only way to confirm a diagnosis of suspected dyslexia. For more information on dyslexia symptomscontact The International Dyslexia Association http://www.interdys.org
Although there is no medical treatment, the way we support dyslexia nutritionally is to introduce nutrients that support brain and nervous system functions. The omega oils are a major player in this program.
Other treatments that may be helpful:
We have just what you need!
Products from The Green Turtle Bay Vitamin Co. Our tablets contain a proprietary probiotic base. (with the exception of Maple Melts which is a chewable tablet)
Nutritional support for those with food sensitivities, ADD, ADHD, learning disabilities, or dyslexia:
Maple Melts – a chewable multi-vitamin with nutrients carefully selected to be most agreeable to people with food sensitivities and allergies. We have purposely omitted iron, copper or salycilates in Maple Melts.
EFAs are vital components of every living cell in the body and are extremely important for vision, hearing and brain function. They are required for normal transmission of messages along nerves and for the laying down of memory.
Signal369 – premium blend of omega oils 3, 6 and 9 in just the right proportions includes: 138 mg. DHA (one of the omega-3s) along with 216 mg. EPA (another omega-3) as well as 699 mg. ALA (omega-3, Alpha-Linolenic Acid), 652 mg. LA and and 288 mg. GLA (omega-6s) and 554 mg. Oleic Acid (omega-9) –in three capsules
We also recommend taking :
- PowerVites energy complex, multi vitamin (See How to pick a multi vitamin)
- Omega essential fatty acids such as Primrose Oile EPO
The following are suitable for adults:
- herbal anti-oxidants for the immune system, such as PowerMate
- If you have trouble sleeping or are over eating try PowerSleep
- For stress or depressiontry out Sunnie
- Diabetics will certainly be rewarded with Diabetiks